Wednesday, May 26, 2010

NEW DELHI!

NAMASTE from New Delhi,

I finally have internet connection! I've been in ND now since this past Friday. It's overwhelming to say the least. The pollution, poverty, sights, sounds, heat (average 115 degrees) - it's just a lot to take in and I'm just finally get used to life here. It's not as romantic as a Bollywood movie (filmed in Switzerland) or even Ghandi.

I've moved in with a wonderful family in a neighborhood named Jang Pura Extension, South Delhi. The neighborhood is authentic, very authentic. As the pictures below demonstrate, this is not a very expat populated area. I'm one of only a handful of foreigners apart from a substantial Pakistani and Afghani population. At first, it admittedly threw me for a loop - I felt very out of place and wondering what the hell I was doing here instead of 15 minutes west, where there is a large expat population. I've come to like the neighborhood I'm in and I realize what a great opportunity it is to immerse myself in Indian culture. Although everyone stares at me as I walk down the street, the Indian people are very nice and welcoming, and with the exception of the rickshaw drivers, they never take advantage of me.

I've just started eating, by the way. My stomach has taken some time to warm up to the spices. The good part is that between the heat and not heating, I've certainly lost a pound or two.

Below are some photos of my neighborhood and my dinner (basically the second time i have eaten here)

-----

Namaste desde La India,

Por fin, tengo conexion de internet. Llevo aqui casi 6 dias aqui. El contaminacion, odores, la pobreza - es mucho para acustumbrarse de repente - es muy agobiante a principio. Es muy diferente que las pelicuas de Bollywood (grabado por Suiza) o la pelicula de Ghandi.

Estoy viviendo con una familia hindo. Son muy majos. Vivo en un barrio se llama Jang Pura Extension. Es un bario muy, muy autentico. Casi no hay extranjero menos yo y un monton de gente de Pakistan y Afganistan. A principio pensaba que deberia haber vivido en un barrio mas occidental pero ahora me he acostumbrado y agredezco bastante que he elegido este barrio. Aunque es un poquito chungo en plan todo la gente me miran, pues la gente son muy majo y menos los conductores de rickshaws, no me aprovechen. Como los espanoles menos la mujer quiem trabaja con los extranjeros en la comisaria de leganes, los hindus son muy majos.


Por cierto, he empezado comer. A principio, me estomgo no le gustaba tanto a la comido, pero ahora mejor. Entre el calor y no comer, voy perdiendo peso.

Abajo hay fotos de mi barrio y tambien de mi cena (es casi el primer cena que he tomado aqui)

Bueno, hasta la proxima.

Butter chicken with freshly baked break







3 comments:

  1. como suelo decirme a m'i misma: "tremendo lo del indio". un besete, hermoso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaya pinta que tiene la comida.....casiiii que prefiero una empanada o unas lentejas ja ja ja. Ya nos contarás como te alimentas.

    Chaooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Qué bien te vendría una vuelta por el gallego de Leganés...

    ReplyDelete